International Child Abduction

Home » International Child Abduction

500px-Members_and_Non_Members_of_the_Civil_Aspects_of_International_Child_Abduction_Hague_Convention_svgWhat is considered an International Child Abduction (“ICA”) ?

So called active and passive cases.

International Child Abduction occurs when one parent or guardian takes their child from its home country without the permission of the other parent or guardian, or without the authorization of a court.

Likewise International Child Abduction occurs when the permission to take the child to another country is temporary (e.g. summer, or Christmas vacation), and the child is not returned to his home country after the permission expires.

A passive case occurs when a child is illegitimately brought to Italy from another Member State. In so called active cases, the child is moved from Italy, to another Member State.

What to do first if my child or children have been abducted to Italy?

As soon as you have knowledge that an International Child Abduction had occurred, you should immediately contact the Central Authority of your home country.

The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction

It is important to note that the process provided by The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, may be started only within a year from when the ICA had occurred, and only regarding children less than 16 years old.

The Italian Central Authority is located in Rome, Via Damiano Chiesa, 24, ZIP 00136, tel. +39 06 68188326-328-331-535-419; fax +39 06 68807087 +39 06 68188600; email

The Central Authority for England and Wales is located in London, Official Solicitor and Public Trustee, 4th Floor, 81 Chancery Lane, tel. +44 (207) 911-7045 or +44 (207) 911-7047; fax +44 (207) 911-7248; email

The U.S.A. Central Authority is located in Washington DC 20520, U.S. Department of State, Office of Children’s Issues (CA/OCS/CI), SA-17, 9th Floor, tel. +1 (202) 485 6300, fax +1(202) 485 6221, email

The Central Authority will have you fill out a special form on which all the important data on the child and on the International Child Abduction will be written.

Do I need a lawyer?

It is crucial you seek the help and assistance of an experienced English-speaking International Hague Abduction Attorney so that no time will be lost and the correct process of returning your child to their home Country is immediately started.

Contact us immediately if your child has been abducted to Italy!

Tel.: +39 06 45478189
Fax: +39 06 85300794

Click here for information on Appealing an International Abduction/Hague Convention case in Italy

Show Comments